Do you want to get rid of mold on the walls once and for all? Find out what tools and techniques are most effective in combating the fungus!
Mold is a real attack in the house, but fortunately, using ordinary cleaning agents, you can not only remove the mold, but also prevent it from reappearing. Whether it’s mold on walls or other surfaces, like floor or carpet, its appearance is a distress signal for your health, so it’s very important to fight the root of the problem. In this article, we offer an effective way to get rid of mold in just three steps.
What is mold and fungus and why do they form on walls?
Mold is a type of fungus that develops from air spores. Usually it appears in damp, warm conditions with limited air flow. That’s why the victims of mold are often the bathrooms and lofts. The cause of the appearance of mold is most often high humidity and lack of ventilation, but sometimes the mold on the walls can be caused by leaking water, both inside and outside the house. Badly insulated pipes can also collect moisture inside the walls.
Mold fungus is the most typical type of mold in the form of a black patchy deposit on the walls. If you do not take such a black mold in time, the fungus can spread to large areas of the surface, if you do not begin to fight it in time. To find out whether this kind of mold has settled on your walls, take a rag and apply bleach to the affected area. If the darkening began to lighten after a few minutes, you are confronted with mold fungus. Otherwise, most likely, you are dealing with ordinary dirt.
How to remove mold from the walls in 3 stages
Attention: mold can cause allergic reactions and ailments, so if you are dealing with severe mold damage to the walls, it is best to seek professional help. If you decide to do it yourself, always wear safety glasses, gloves and a mask, as contact with mold spores can be harmful to your health. Open the windows or turn on the fan if you have one.
- Prepare a solution of chlorine bleach and water in a ratio of 1: 3 or take a cleaner that contains an active whitening component.
- Using a hard brush, rub the area darkened from the mold, removing stains from the mold from the walls, from the wallpaper and from the ceiling.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry.
If you can not get rid of the mold yet, there are special powerful tools for fighting mold and mold, but remember: in no case should you mix different cleaning agents, as their interaction can cause a dangerous chemical reaction!
How to prevent the appearance of mold and mold: 6 practical tips
If you have already dealt with the dominance of mold on your walls, the next necessary step is to once and for all prevent its return. For this, there are the following options:
- Buy a specialized product. Antimicrobial spray, for example, can prevent the repetitive settling of mold spores on the surface. Also in the hardware store you can buy anti-mold paint.
- Think about installing an electric air dehydrator for areas of the apartment that are particularly vulnerable to mold. For long-term disposal of mold, this option is ideal.
- Perhaps it is worth upgrading the thermal insulation system in your home. Sometimes bad thermal insulation is the root of the problem. Qualitatively insulated walls and ceilings are much less prone to condensation, and hence mold.
The most correct solution to the problem with mold is to get rid of moisture, which is so fond of mold spores:
- Keep bathrooms, kitchens and other humid places well ventilated and as dry as possible.
- Straighten the shower curtains and towels so that they dry out.
- Fight with leaking plumbing without delay, to avoid the accumulation of moisture in the cracks and under the floor.
Do not worry if the mold and mildew have reappeared on your walls: this is a typical phenomenon, but this time you are properly armed to deal with it.
Image credit: Wikipedia