The bathroom is one of the areas in your home that you and your family members use on a daily basis. Extensive use of the bathroom without cleaning the area implies that space can accumulate microbes, fungi, molds, and other airborne particles leading to the formation of VOCs. The bathtub is one item in your bathroom where scum from soaps and insoluble microorganisms in water can expedite mildew or moss formation making the tub appear dirty and sooty. Apart from the readymade or over-the-counter cleaners available in the market, you can make good use of regular home cleaning items for keeping the bathtub scintillatingly clean.
- Oven Cleaner: Have you ever thought about using the oven cleaner as a cleaning agent for your bathtub? Yes, you can use the caustic detergent to scrub clean the tub. Most off-the-rack oven cleaners are filled with detergents that have a caustic base and are infused with specialty surfactants and water softening elements. The ingredient mix in oven cleaners helps in thoroughly cleaning any surface laden with the buildup of grime, grease, mildew or mold. The cleaner works perfectly on surfaces made of porcelain, stainless steel, and cast iron. Just spray the cleaner both on the inner and exterior surfaces and after 2-3 hours rinse the tub completely. However, never use the oven cleaner on the tub if it is colored.
- Baking Soda: Baking Soda is perhaps the most versatile cleaning item that almost every household stocks up on. You may have used baking soda for scrubbing and rinsing a nearly unlimited range of items and appliances in your home. Now use sodium bicarbonate (chemical name of baking soda) for getting rid of the dirt and grime on the bathtub and keeping it sparkling clean. Blend hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in the ratio of 1:2 in a container and let it stay for approximately 30 minutes. Thereafter, scrub clean the bathtub with the mixture and wash down completely.
- Salt: The humble table salt without which any meal would taste bland, can also be put to good use when it comes to cleaning the tub in the bathroom. Obstinate yellow spots that take quite an effort to remove can be cleared away easily by rubbing a solution of turpentine and salt over the affected areas. Mix equal parts of both and put on rubberized gloves before you can apply the mixture. Rinse completely after application and remember to open the door and the windows in the bathroom while cleaning.
- Shampoo: There is one hair cleaning and conditioning product right there in your bathroom which can also double up as a bathtub cleaner-shampoo. If you’re running short on time and need to sparkle up your bathroom in a jiffy as your mother-in-law is due to arrive, then you can bank upon the normal shampoo or hair conditioner. Shampoos are especially effective in clearing scum deposits.
- Vinegar: Scatter white vinegar throughout the tub and thereafter fill it up with hot water. Allow the blend to stay for 5-6 hours and then scrub the tub after draining out the solution.
Image Credit : quinntheislander